Blog Archive

Tuesday 5 June 2012

Being a good earth citizen...

What a odd topic, I hear you murmur.

Actually it's not really. Organics are worthwhile yet costly. Buying organics to eat in my opinion is an investment in health and real wholesome food rather than an act of elitism.

I stumbled across an article on etsy about organic food and snobbery and it got me thinking.

One of the main reasons I sew with organic cottons is not actually environmental. I LOVE that organic cotton is available and so much better for the environment, but the real reason I started to focus on organics was fear.

I know that sounds strange but I don't think I am alone in this. It's amazing how much your focus changes and habits change once you start thinking about having a baby. Seemingly small issues become really big ones. Caffeine, alcohol, hair dye, smelly cigarette smokers, food colouring, artificial additives. All yuck, yuck, yuck.

And it was a trip to ikea that put me on the path to organic fabric love. I bought a two pack of wonderful stretchy cot sheets. They were great. Except after four washes I've not been able to get the chemical smell out of them and no way on earth are they going near my child, let alone on his bed. So yes they were cheap, but they cost a lot if you consider that they've been washed four times and never used.

Give me a $60 organic cotton sheet any day, and I will gladly invest in not having the fear of what that chemical smell is doing to me or my child whilst we sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Footscray, Victoria, Australia
I sew, design and create whilst also being a loving mother of one beautiful son. Like thousands of other women, my nesting instinct led me to a sewing machine and I haven't stopped since. I adore all fabric, but try to only buy organics. I simply can't resist a good Japanese linen though, so I do make an exception on organics sometimes!!